Gulou Houhai鼓楼 － 后海
North 2nd Ring Road between Deshengmen bridge, Jiaodaokou street, and Dianmen street. Though this area is oftentimes congested with heavy traffic, direct access to the 2nd Ring Road makes travel to the airport (25 minutes), CBD (20 minutes), and Sanlitun (20 minutes) uncomplicated. Subway line 2 is easily accessible.
Traditional Beijing hutongs is the common form of housing in this area. Almost all homes are single-story hutongs (though some do rise to two stories). The vast majority of all hutongs in this area are still standing in their original form, thus maintaining its “old Beijing” feel.
Though not all modern conveniences will be readily available (shopping mall, movie theaters, etc.), almost every common necessity can be found nearby (local and foreign restaurants, bars, grocery stores). Nanluoguxiang Alley (outdoor shopping street), the Drum and Bell Towers, and the man-made lakes are popular tourist sites of this area.Only local television channels are available in a Beijing hutong. However, some hutongs can be fixed to receive foreign television channels as well.
- Very touristic attractions available (gulou towers;houhai lake)
- Many bars restaurants and clubs around (nanluoguxiang hutong alley & jiaodaokou)
- Traditional chinese accommodation lifestyle (quiet and slower pace of living)
- Heavy traffic with few access to easy traffic (except if living close to the 2nd ring road - jiaodaokou street)
- Far from the cbd and sanlitun area
- No major supermarket to buy foreign products